A Wonderful Journey

It started out so early with a car picking us up at our hotel at 7:30 am. I dreaded the long travel day ahead and prayed for our safety.

As we waited in line for our passport check and boarding passes a security agent, a dog, and a military armed officer walked by. The dog sniffed each suitcase. I thought to myself, that's good that they do this. And then I flash backed to pre 9/11 when life was different. I've always been a bit nervous about flying but my desire to travel out weighs my anxiety by a long shot. I will keep traveling until I'm the old lady on the travel bus tour...and then maybe I'll still travel or explore more of the USA in a motorhome or something.

We are packed to the brim. My suitcase is about to burst open. My purse could possibly exceed the weight limit. We are cranky and tired and have 14 hours ahead of us before we get home. I give Rio a gift I had bought her the night before without her knowing. She smiles because it's perfect - it says I love Bean. What are the chances?

We walk what feels like 5 miles to our gate. I've got a million thoughts going through my head. I don't like it but I start profiling people about to board the same plane as us. I think about the passengers a week earlier on Germanwings airline. I wonder what the balance in my checking account is, I haven't looked at it for 13 days. I start to think of work but immediately give myself permission to not think about work. Rio's wheels are turning and I can see she also thinks about the reality we are about to return to. We agree to not worry about anything and bask in the memories of our wonderful trip.

Ten and a half hours later we hear ""Ladies and Gentleman, welcome to Los Angeles International airport"". We're close and only have a 20 minute flight home to Carlsbad on the tiny plane. Were greeted by my lovely co-worker, Maryanne, who is the type of person who would do anything in the world for anyone in the world. We are thankful for Maryanne.

We arrive home with barely enough energy to lift our luggage out of Maryanne's car. At my door we find what some would refer to as the Cherry on Top of our trip. Ahhhh, home at last...the note on the door reads

""Welcome Home! Thought you might need some snacks and dinner"" Simon. Below is a cooler and a bag of groceries from my best friend Cathy aka Simon. Another example of how blessed we are in our lives.

We are thankful to those of you who have taken the time to read about our journey. I documented our story for Rio so she could look back on it one day and perhaps share it with her children. I wrote it because I seriously can't remember what I wore yesterday but wanted to remember what it felt like walking arm in arm with my 16 yr old daughter through the streets of Paris and London.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Magnificent Place of Yuma

Our Six Day Trip To Arizona